STUCK BACKSTORY
I know I credit Bill Croke with the inspiration for this story, but I honestly can't recall what that inspiration was! The “style” of the title is fashioned after Rodger Jacobs’ stories in his book of short stories titled Christopher Walken and the Tuna Fish Sandwich and Other L.A. Stories. “Winona Ryder Suffers For Your Sins” was my favorite title and story.
The idea for "Stuck..." came to me as I was walking down Market Street in Corning, NY. I know of two elevators in downtown Corning (pop. 10,842). I had been thinking about one of my favorite shows, Showtime’s Dead Like Me starring Mandy Patinkin, a show about grim reapers. Very quirky and funny. Mandy Patinkin is like the boss reaper for a group of reapers who meet every morning at a restaurant for their day’s assignments (written on Post-it notes:). I imagined a person in one of the two Corning elevators along with Mandy Patinkin. This person has a phobia about elevators, and when he sees Mandy he begins to freak out thinking he’s going to die and that the only reason Mandy is there is to reap his soul right before he dies. After all, what would Mandy Patinkin be doing in a Corning, NY, elevator?
However, when I began to write the story it didn’t quite work out the way I had planned. In fact, I was having problems just writing anything, so I decided to search for a picture of Mandy. Sometimes that helps me to “bumper sticker” the theme. It worked, because the minute I saw the picture of him I knew the story.
The idea for "Stuck..." came to me as I was walking down Market Street in Corning, NY. I know of two elevators in downtown Corning (pop. 10,842). I had been thinking about one of my favorite shows, Showtime’s Dead Like Me starring Mandy Patinkin, a show about grim reapers. Very quirky and funny. Mandy Patinkin is like the boss reaper for a group of reapers who meet every morning at a restaurant for their day’s assignments (written on Post-it notes:). I imagined a person in one of the two Corning elevators along with Mandy Patinkin. This person has a phobia about elevators, and when he sees Mandy he begins to freak out thinking he’s going to die and that the only reason Mandy is there is to reap his soul right before he dies. After all, what would Mandy Patinkin be doing in a Corning, NY, elevator?
However, when I began to write the story it didn’t quite work out the way I had planned. In fact, I was having problems just writing anything, so I decided to search for a picture of Mandy. Sometimes that helps me to “bumper sticker” the theme. It worked, because the minute I saw the picture of him I knew the story.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home