RWA BACKSTORY

I first wrote Rendezvous With Angelo at least 15 years ago. A vision of a teenaged girl, probably 17, flashed in my mind. She was wearing a raincoat and running down a deserted residential street in her bare feet late one rainy summer’s night. As I was wondering what she was doing, the title came next. The first fifty drafts were breathless and hopelessly corny. I knew there was a short story in there, but I couldn’t seem to translate it into words. So, I shoved it in the drawer with all the others.

I decided I had to finish the story. It’s true that some stories write themselves, that is if you allow the process to happen. As I was nearing the end, I knew that what was wrong with the story was the ending. Originally, Nadine had a one night stand with Angelo; the next day he moves on, and she never sees him again. No wonder every draft was breathless and corny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home